Thursday, November 6, 2014

Pot Pies!

It started getting cold-- yes, it does get chilly in LA-- meaning in its 60s-- ha ha-- and naturally this means I don't want to eat anything cold. No salads, no ice cream.. what's more comforting and warm than POT PIE?  Seriously. What?  That's right.. pot pies are the very definition of comfort food! Can I tell you how it came out though? It tasted legit. Seriously legit. It might be my proudest culinary moment.

As usual, I make no measurements-- just taste.

First, just chop up whatever vegetables you want-- I used onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms
-- and cook it on the stovetop. Add whatever spices you want. I added pepper, salt, dill, poultry seasoning, bay leaves, and a bit of cayenne pepper to give it a kick.


Cook some chicken on the side.

Add broth to the vegetable mixture. I used chicken broth. Let it simmer! Add more spices if necessary. Taste and add, taste and add. Add a bit of milk or cream if you want. Add the chicken.



Add some cornstarch to thicken it up. Just take a spoonful and mix it with some cold water. Add the mixture to your broth and mixture.

Unroll your defrosted pie crust (store bought is super easy) into a casserole dish and then pour in your stovetop mixture! Cover with crust.



Cook at 425 for 45 minutes.



I didn't measure anything but you really don't need to for this recipe! Just taste as you go.
I also made a veggie pot pie for my sister, who's a vegetarian. Same deal except I didn't add the chicken (obviously) and added green beans, spinach, kale, and potato. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment