Friday, February 20, 2015

The yummiest steel cut oatmeal


I love oatmeal plain but to many people it can be a bit too boring.  Here's the latest way I've been eating oatmeal-- steel cut oatmeal to be specific-- and it's super chewy and delicious!

 First, boil water. Then add the steel cut oats. I like to use the quick cook ones because it's faster, but it's not as chewy.  I don't measure but just let it all cook until the water boils off.  At this point, I add a sprinkle of salt. Even though this is a relatively sweet breakfast, a pinch of salt always brings out the sweetness a bit more.

Turn off the heat and add your honey. I also add my dad's homemade fig jam and it's a perfect combination.

Put your oatmeal in your bowl and top with blueberries, almonds, chia seeds and ground flaxseed. Lately I've been adding wheat germ, too. You can also add walnuts or whatever else. Sometimes I add milk if I want a creamier oatmeal.

Enjoy your hearty breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment